Christmas safety guide for dogs and cats

Petfix Club
3rd December 2020 - 2 min read

Dogs and cats are part of the family and we love to involve them in our Christmas celebrations. Learn how to involve them in a way that keeps them happy and safe this Christmas.

Dangerous Christmas Plants

At Christmas we decorate our house with festive plants and decorations. Although it looks festive, pet owners are warned that some Christmas plants & decor may actually be harmful to your pets health.

1. Christmas Trees

Real trees result in fallen needles and it is important that you regularly dispose of any stray needles. If ingested, these needles could damage your cat or dogs internal organs and impose a safety concern.

Keep the tree stand covered so pets don’t drink the water, which could contain harmful bacteria and other pathogens.

2. Holly & Mistletoe

Holly and Mistletoe are highly toxic plants for your pet so it’s best to avoid them completely for the festive season.If a small amount is ingested, it can cause vomiting, drooling and abdominal pain for your cat or dog. In larger amounts, more severe reactions may occur, like a drop in blood pressure and heart rate, breathing problems, seizures and death.

3. Poinsettias

Poinsettias have a bad reputation. They are not life-threatening but if ingested your pet may experience nausea or vomiting. The leaves produce a sap that can irritate your dog or cat’s mouth and oesophagus.

4. Lilies

Although not toxic to dogs, lilies can be dangerous for cats. They can cause reactions ranging from intestinal issues to arrhythmia and may even lead to kidney failure.

5. Amaryllis

Amaryllis is a very toxic plant for dogs and cats due to the presence of the chemical lycorine. If ingested, it may cause diarrhea and vomiting, overall weakness and even cardiac failure in your pet.

Dangerous Festive foods

Chocolate  

The chemical theobromine is present in chocolate and is toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, cardiovascular problems.

Mince Pies and Christmas Cake

Grapes and their dried products raisins, and sultanas, have the potential to be highly toxic to dogs. If you leave a mince pie out for Santa make sure it’s out of reach of little paws to avoid any emergencies.

Leftovers

Be careful to not give your pet any left over stuffing, gravy or other foods that contain onion or garlic. If ingested there can be vomiting and diarrhoea but the main effect is damage to red blood cells, resulting in anaemia.

Do not feed your pet leftover bones. Cooked bones easily splinter would can be a danger to pets. As your pet chews the bone it could potentially splinter and damage your pet’s throat or stomach and may even cause a blockage in the throat.

Other Safety hazards at Christmas

Presents and gift wrap

Silica gel

Christmas decorations