Heroic pet parrot saves man from house fire

Petfix Club
22nd December 2020 - 1 min read

A man in Australia was saved from a house fire thanks to his pet parrot.

Anton Nguyen was sleeping in his Brisbane home late at night when he woke up to the sound of his parrot, Eric, calling his name. According to Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Acting Inspector Cam Thomas, Eric had squawked “Anton! Anton!” to alert his owner of the fire.

There were smoke detectors, but the bird alerted his owner before the detectors went off.

“I heard a bang and Eric – my parrot – he started to yell so I woke up and I smelled a bit of smoke,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Nguyen’s home was on fire by the time the emergency services arrived, which was after 2 am. Thankfully, Anton was able to escape with his parrot, Eric, and bring them both to safety.

Nguyen said he grabbed Eric, opened the door, looked back at the house and saw some flames. He then grabbed his bag and left.

Anton added that despite the traumatic experience, overall, he’s doing okay. “I’m in shock but I’m fine,” he said.

“Everything’s alright so long as I have myself and the bird.”

Thomas added that the fire had “pretty much well engulfed” Anton’s home by the time his team got there.

blue parrot